Saturday, April 21, 2012

Developing a Prayerful Attitude

Lately, I've been thinking a lot about my faith; in particular, what it means to live out my faith consistently. I don't want to compartmentalize--to pray only when I wake up, when I go to bed and before meals. I want to pray constantly, to maintain an attitude of awe, gratitude, and praise to God as often as I can.

This is so tough to do, especially during the average day when I'm in school-mode and busy. Nonetheless, taking the time to reflect, to pray and to praise, even in the middle of a busy day has become a pressing and personal goal for me.

What does it take to cultivate a prayerful attitude? What conditions best lend to developing such an attitude? What needs to be added and what needs to be subtracted from my life to create such conditions? As I wrestle with these questions, I realize that I am limited, forgetful and weak. What I've been reminded is that discipleship is a journey, and a journey requires one step at a time--Ultimately, I must pray for a prayerful attitude, pray for a constant, urgent desire for God. It may sound silly to pray that I spend more time in prayer, but God listens and works in my heart, little by little replacing all the vain things that charm me most with joy and an earnest desire to know Him. What are the ultimate benefits of a prayerful demeanor?

"And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." --Philippians 4:7

No comments:

Post a Comment