Monday, April 30, 2012

走る

When I came home tonight, the strangest feeling came over me.  I didn't want to sit down and put up my feet; I didn't want to grade papers; I didn't want to watch TV.  I wanted to go back outside.  I wanted to run.

This wasn't my normal, somewhat guilty feeling of "I SHOULD run."  This was a deep and compelling desire to put on my running shoes and keep running until I couldn't push myself any further.  It was 8:20 when I got home and it was an inviting 70˚F outside.  The conditions were perfect; I had to run.

This was my first run since early September, when I gave up my daily running because of the heat and humidity.  It was good.  I ran for 30 minutes and then cooled down by walking for another 10 minutes, stretching out along the way.  I'm not sure how far I ran--maybe 4K.  As I ran I listened to a history Podcast that I've recently subscribed to, this show being a discussion of the Red Scares and the role that hysteria plays in history.  It was one of the most relaxing and reinvigorating half hours I can remember, listening to an interesting and engaging lecture as I jogged by the river and along empty city streets.

I hope that I can make this a part of my routine once again so that even on rainy days (such as are predicted for the rest of this week), I'll be drawn up, off the couch and outside to run.

No comments:

Post a Comment